Friday, February 8, 2008

Mitt Calls It Quits

Author Bio
Letter to the Editor
Print This Article
Email This Article
About RSS Feeds


Campaign Crawlers
Mitt Calls It Quits
By Theodora Blanchfield
Published 2/8/2008 12:08:45 AM
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Senator John McCain became the presumptive Republican nominee as Mitt Romney withdrew from the presidential race yesterday, but you wouldn't have been able to guess that from the reaction of the CPAC crowds.

The line for Romney's speech was already snaking around the corner an hour and a half before it began. Minutes before he started speaking, political insiders and media types began buzzing about his imminent departure from the race and I caught wind of this.

With some inkling of what was to come, I scanned the faces in the crowd for reactions. I saw an engaged audience hanging on the former governor's every word, clapping often and loudly. I fidgeted through his talk about America's problems. And when he said, "Even though we face an uphill fight, I know that many in this room are fully behind my campaign. You are with me all the way to the convention," I thought maybe the media had got this one wrong. Maybe Romney would battle it out all the way to the convention.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=12712

0 comments: